Easy , practical advice for Asbestos Removal in Nottingham
Whether you are planning to get a builder in or a professional asbestos removal company, here are a few tips to help with choosing the right way of doing it :
- Ensure that you know the material is asbestos first. Asbestos testing can be completed to save you the time and money of having the asbestos removed by a professional company
- Once you have established it is an asbestos in your house , choose the right person for the job. We all know someone , who knows someone that can remove asbestos but can they complete this safely? Always ensure that a trained and insured company are used.
- Shop around for quotes. The cost of asbestos removal in Nottingham varies. The cheapest deal may not always be the safest option , but once you have completed your checks on the company it may be the best deal.
- Ask the asbestos removal company if they have a Waste Carriers Licence , are their staff trained and where the asbestos is taken to. Not one reputable company will ever shy away from these questions , in fact they will welcome them! You can check the Waste Carriers Licence, as well as checking the Environmental Permit Number.
- Get a quote in writing , ask the company to provide you with the complete price and confirm there are no hidden extras.
- Once the company arrive at your property make sure they are wearing all the correct PPE to remove the asbestos , this includes Coveralls and masks. Anyone trying to remove asbestos without this protective gear is not concerned about their safety , so they surely are not concerned about yours. You can check which PPE is required on HSE website.
- When the asbestos removal has been completed you should ALWAYS receive a Hazardous Waste Consignment Note , otherwise referred to as a “certificate”. The consignment note is your proof of who removed the asbestos , where it came from and who transported it.
- Get your second copy of the Hazardous Waste Consignment Note. Once the asbestos has been disposed of , the disposal company will stamp a copy of the consignment note you signed. This provides you , the producer of the asbestos , your proof the asbestos has not been illegally fly-tipped. The consignment note contains a unique number for your asbestos waste only , this can be tracked right from your house to the disposal point.
- Keep the consignment note – ensure the consignment note for the asbestos removal is kept for as long as you keep the property.
- If you need asbestos removal in Nottingham and you are in doubt , call the Environment Agency, Local Council or Health and Safety Executive for more information
Need some advice about Asbestos waste?
Call us on 01623 272 611 and we'll be happy to help